Previous Versions takes a snapshots of Shares and your My Documents folder throughout the day. You can restore files and folders from this function yourself. It is useful if you have accidently deleted a file, or overwritten/changed the wrong file.
The amount of time you can go back varies depending on available storage space, but it is common to be able to go back a month in time.
To restore files:
- Locate the folder that holds the document you would like to recover.
- Right click in blank space (so not onto an actual file) if the file was deleted - or on the actual document if you need to recover from an earlier time and click Properties
- Select the Previous Version tab.
- In the "File versions" list, select a version you would like to restore. Click the "Open" button to check out the contents.
- To quickly restore the previous version, click on the Restore button. You will be prompted to overwrite the existing file version if it exists in the same location.